A Writer Looking to Change the World

Search This Blog

Sunday, September 11, 2022

Thoughts

   I'm currently hoping that didn't say anything offensive in yesterdays post. I don't support the existence of monarchy, I was just struck by how many people seemed to be angry at Queen Elizabeth for being Britain's figurehead. I know she could have done more to help people, but to the best of my knowledge royalty doesn't make any political decisions in the UK anymore and hasn't for about two hundred years. Most of the colonizing was happening under the watch of the prime minister, and England stopped conquering countries about when her reign started. She probably should have said something, but my understanding is that, for better or for worse, she wanted to keep the Monarchy together. 

    I don't think she deserves credit for decolonizing, because she had nothing to do with that either. I also won't blame anyone in one of England's former colonies who wants to celebrate, because England has done a lot of awful things to most of the countries in the world. I just don't think it's fair to blame Elizabeth for most of it. 

   Personally, my main reaction to the news is to just shrug. I'm not British, nor am I in one of the countries with royalty on it's currency, so I never cared that much about the royal family. In my mind their soul purpose is to get married and attend public ceremonies, that's it. It's not a life I want to live, but apparently Elizabeth didn't mind. She did her job the best she could, and I can respect her for that, even if I do still think it's time the UK moved past it's monarchal phase. Love or hate her, she ruled England for seventy years, and even if it was only ceremonial, I think that's still pretty impressive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment