A Writer Looking to Change the World

Search This Blog

Friday, August 19, 2022

The Fairylands

    There's no happier place in Estellia then the Fairy Islands. Since it's surrounded by the sea of sadness, I suppose it would have to be the happiest place in Estellia, or else nobody would want to live there. 

   I love going to the Fairylands. Well, more accurately I love going to the dreamworld the people in charge of the Fairylands built for their citizens. Living in the Fairylands requires money, and I don't qualify for a job that pays. Almost no one does. That both my parents did puts me in the top one percent of the human population. Or so my father would say every time I felt queasy because I couldn't sleep for a day or so. Technically it costs money even if you travel to the Dreamworld version of the fairylands, but you can do anything in the dreamworld so I just create the amount of money I want to spend that day and don't worry about it. 

   There's a lot of fun things to do in the Fairylands. You can go on the rides, watch or participate in shows, or play in any number of games. The games are my favorite part, especially those where you're the Dreamer and can fight against the strongest nightmares to ever exist. To be fair, it's probably because I'm really good at them. I also have a soft spot for games that allow you to build your own nightmare world. I suck at those, since you're supposed to make them scary or exhilarating, but I usually just go for building a large house or a temple, something like that. 

   The only think I don't like about the Fairy Lands are the druggies. Apparently working in the Fairylands is nothing short of a waking disaster, at least according to the humans I see sprawled out in the alleyways. They tell me they no longer know joy, it's all just screaming and yelling and fighting and wondering if they'll be able to make rent on the only room they can afford. To make matters worse, they're surrounded by nightmares on all sides, all of whom know they can't fight back so even if they wanted to sleep to try and get a break, they can't do so safely. The only way they can cope is with drugs, the kind that taken in small quantities give you Euphoria but if you take too much of them you pass out. The worst thing is that in drug sleep, you can't move even in the Dreamworld, so you have to hide and hope the Nightmares don't see you and try to trap you in an Illusion. 

   I have to admit, even if seeing them makes me uncomfortable, they make me grateful to live in one of the few cities in Estellia that isn't run by one of the nightmare races. I'm also glad that I have my necklace, which I can use to fight off nightmares if one of them traps me in a illusion. I'm not sure if it'd work on a nightmare who's strong enough to make me forget that all nightmares are humans underneath, but it's worked on everyone I've fought so far. I do wish that I didn't have to sleep, but so far I've been lucky enough not to get caught. I guess, in general, I'm one of the luckiest humans alive.

    Kind of pathetic, honestly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment