A Writer Looking to Change the World

Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 24, 2022

A Lucky Human

      I've been on my own for about two years now. I've learned a lot, but the most important thing I think I've learned is that as far as humans go, I'm incredibly lucky. Not just because I have a necklace that helps me fight Nightmares, or because I have a dreamworld of my own, but because no matter how many crimes I commit, I never get caught. 

   Not that I've committed a lot of crimes. Mostly I just sleep in alleyways or on benches. I must look like a druggie, but I don't get stopped by the watch. I did steal a Journal and a pen from one of the shops, mostly because I missed writing things down like I did in school. I didn't realize it before, but apparently you can keep real objects in a Dreamworld if you focus hard enough. I don’t write much, just what I've noticed going on, which isn't much. 

    I'm also lucky enough to avoid the gods when I enter the dreamworlds attached to the cities they run. I don't think they'd like a human who goes lucid as often as I do. It's not illegal, but it is deeply frowned upon, as it destroys the integrity of the dreamworlds, or something. The thing is, I'm pretty sure everyone, human or otherwise, knows the dreamworlds aren't real, and looks at them as a representation of the skill and craftsmanship of the nightmare who created it and nothing more. I suppose pride is a much a problem for nightmares as it is for people, so they probably like to pretend their worlds are realer than they actually are. 

   My friendship with Alex has also made me grateful for not needing to eat. Sleeping every night is bad enough, but eating would be incredibly inconvenient. She's told me that those who need to eat are given special privileges, because they usually have a lot more power than the rest of the nightmares, but if you ask me it doesn't seem like a great trade off. 

  One thing that does kind of bother me is that when I wish for something, I usually get it. I know I should feel grateful, but the only that distinguishes reality from the Infinite for me is that when I'm in a dreamworld I can make whatever I want happen. I don't always get what I want, but it happens often enough that I'm beginning to feel unsettled. 

No comments:

Post a Comment