A Writer Looking to Change the World

Search This Blog

Friday, January 21, 2022

The Big Book of Enchantments, Chapter 7, Jessica's Story

     Julia’s just announced that she and Rachel aren’t going to go to Brook’s Hallow. Julia promised her aunt that they wouldn’t go back until Rachel was safe, and she won’t be safe until the assassin gives up. When I found out the Assassin was sent by Mildred Stonebridge, my heart sank.

    “You’ll never be safe.” I told them, “If she wants something, she won’t stop until she gets it. She wanted a child, and she wouldn’t stop pestering her husband until he got her pregnant. When that child didn’t satisfy her, she made him give her another one. Everyone at the citadel gave her everything she wanted, not because they were scared, but to save themselves the annoyance.”

   Then, as I was getting packed to head into the city, Zac walked up to me.

   “It seems to me,” He said, “That you’re very good at identifying problems but very bad at doing anything to stop them.”

    “What am I supposed to do?” I shot back

    “I don’t know.” He admitted. “But you know the Citadel, and you know who this woman is. It seems to me you would have some way that would stop her.”

    “Short of killing her, nothing would.” I said.

    “Then kill her.” He told me.

     I stared at him. “Why would you want me to kill her?”

    “She’s putting everyone’s life in danger. She told the king and queen they can’t accept their son back or else she’s turning the kingdom against them. She’s set an assassin after Rachel and Julia so they can’t rest safely anymore. What else does she need to do to convince you that you need to do something about this.”

    I didn’t say anything to that. What could I say? When I left the Citadel, I promised myself that I would never go back. I was done for good. But now it seems the world will be in trouble unless I go back. And what would I do? I don’t know how to kill people. I destroy buildings, cause panic and mayhem, and cause things to catch fire, I don’t kill people.

   But I know Zac’s right. If I don’t kill her, this will only get worse.

   So I’m going back to the Citadel. The one place I never wanted to return to.

   I’ve never been more scared.

No comments:

Post a Comment