A Writer Looking to Change the World

Search This Blog

Friday, January 14, 2022

Big Book of Enchantments, Chapter 6, Jessica's Story

      It feels like I’ve been traveling for years, though if Julia’s phone is correct, I’ve only been traveling for a month and a half.

   All six of us are travelling to Brooks Hallow. Michael needs help learning how to control his magic, Zac is looking for people to steal from, I don’t want Michael traveling by himself, and Rachel, Julia, and Johnathon want to ask the leader of Magitronics Inc for help. They don’t know what else to do.

     If it wasn’t for The Enchantress, I’d be excited about going to Brook’s Hallow. From what Rachel tells me, it’s on the cutting edge of technology. Not only do they have Magitronics Inc building computers that can use magic, but they also have new artifacts that can sense the amount of magic in an area, project images into your brain, and write down your thoughts for later retrieval. To say nothing about advancements in medicine, engineering, and entertainment. I asked Rachel if it was a big as Portland and she said, “It’s much bigger.”

    I don’t know that much about Brooks Hallow. People at the Citadel didn’t talk much about life outside and almost nobody ever came to visit. What I do know is that, in addition to being a big city, it’s the oldest city in Altra other than the capital. According to Rachel, you wouldn’t know that if you went to visit, because they keep tearing down and rebuilding old buildings. There are a few buildings that are more than a hundred years old, but only because they bring in a lot of tourists.

    I suppose it’s a good thing the Citadel isn’t part of Brook’s Hallow then.

   I’ve been thinking, if we can’t find anyone to help Michael learn how to do magic in Brook’s Hallow, I’ll teach him magic myself. I don’t think going back to the citadel would be a good idea, for either of us.

   I knew magic had moved on, but until I left, I hadn’t realized how far behind we were at the citadel compared to everyone else. It’s not just that, outside of certain niche fields, nobody practices magic as magic anymore, or that even magic artifacts have fallen out of favor, it’s that spells are a lot more complicated, so keeping them balanced is beyond what a mage could hope to do. If Michael had been born five hundred years ago, I would take him to the Citadel instantly to see that he was properly trained for his calling. But everywhere I look, there are spells that could be unbalanced by a stiff breeze, let alone the kind of magic a human can do. I think he’d be better off learning how not to do magic, so that he wouldn’t destroy anything by accident.

    I have to say, as someone who had a lot of trouble learning how not to destroy things, I’m a little worried at the direction the world seems to be going. I know there are benefits to having so many complicated spells, but if someone like me lost control, a city could be shut down instantly. I can’t see how that could be sustainable unless you measured everyone for channeling potential and magic resistance and told everyone who couldn’t manage to control their magic to leave and not come back. Portland had a lot of spells like that, and the capital had quite a few as well. If every city is like this, my only hope is to find a village I can live in or go back to the citadel.

    If I get the chance, I’ll ask Rachel’s mother what she plans to do about this. Surely, she’s aware that this is a problem, and maybe I can convince her that it isn’t fair to force people like me to live in the middle of nowhere. If I can’t do that, then I think our future is very bleak indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment