A Writer Looking to Change the World

Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 5, 2022

The Big Book of Enchantments, Chapter 5, Johnathon's story

     I must say, after being away from home for so long, I’m struck by how shabby the Capital looks. I have to wonder if giving the public so many tax cuts was wise. Michael and Zac don’t seem to notice it, but I’m sure Julia and Rachel have. Jessica is so absorbed in writing in her diary all the time, I have to wonder if she notices anything at all. 

   We’ve been waiting at the palace gates since dawn. Zac wandered off somewhere a while ago, Michael and Jessica are looking for people willing to buy charms. I don’t know why anyone would want charms in this day and age, though I must say that Jessica is exceptional at making them. I wonder where she learned.

     Jessica walks up to me and asks, “Do you know how late the palace is going to be open?”

     “They usually close a couple of hours before dusk. Why?”

     “Michael got kicked out of his home a few weeks after someone from the Citadel paid a visit. I would like to ask if anyone knows what’s going on.”

    “Are you going to ask the king and queen?” 

    “I don’t see why I would need to. Servants tend to know a lot of secrets.”

    “What makes you think they would know this?” I ask.

    “If someone from the citadel is going around casting enchantments, I’d be willing to bet that The Enchantress is involved somehow. She hates having people ignore her, and that’s all anyone’s been doing since she took power at the Citadel. I think she’s looking for a way to take over the country and make everyone do what she says.” 

     “Who’s this enchantress?” I ask. The terms so archaic I don’t know anyone who uses it anymore.

    “It’s what I call Lady Mildred. She doesn’t deserve any respect.”

     I sit and think. I don’t know a lot about the citadel. I know that it was once The Place you went to for any magical advice, but that was over five hundred years ago. Once magic artefacts became cheap enough, the need for people who knew how to cast a spell went away completely. 

    “Does she really think she can take over the kingdom?” I ask, “We have armies of people ready to fight her if she tries.”

   Jessica frowns, “I know it’s unlikely, but when I lived in the Citadel the first thing they taught us is never underestimate another mage. Even if they can’t cast as well as you or channel any magic, a good mage always has a plan. Don’t assume you can beat them easily, even if you came prepared.”

    “So, in short, a mage is like an assassin.” I say, chuckling. 

    “Didn’t you learn any magic? I know the castle has a library with more books on magic than anywhere else in the Kingdom of Altra.” Jessica says.

    “Only spells that work well with swordplay. Magic on its own isn’t that helpful. How’s the charm making going, by the way”

     “Not well. I’m beginning to think I’ll need to try something else.” Jessica says

     “Zac seems to be making enough money.” I say.

      “Well, he’s been stealing for years. I hope I don’t have to, but I’m not sure I’ll have a choice.” Jessica says.

     I have to sit for a while and absorb this. I knew Zac didn’t live on his own, but for some reason I didn’t think he was a thief. “Zac’s a thief? And you’re still willing to travel with him?” 

    “I don’t like it either. My parents taught me the value of personal property. But he doesn’t have any other way to survive, and I don’t want to force him to go back to his parents.”

    “Why not?” I ask.

    “Because I know what it’s like when your parents don’t love you and your forced to live with them anyway. I don’t know if that’s why he left, but Michael hasn’t stopped talking to me about how much he wants to see his family and Zac never brings his parents up at all. Besides, if I left him, I’d have to be on my own again. I could probably do alright, but it’s nice to have someone who knows what he’s doing with me.” 

  At that moment the palace gates open. I say good by to Jessica, and motion to Julia and Rachel to follow me. It doesn’t take long for me to notice that something is wrong. Nobody’s stopping me, of course, but everyone keeps staring at me in an uncomfortable fashion. 

    I stop before the throne room and ask the guard for permission to approach. I fully expect to be turned away, my parents are always busy, but the guards open the doors and announce, “The prince of Altra has returned, your majesties.”

    I walk forward slowly. My father seems deeply annoyed, while my mother wrings her hands. “I hope you aren’t going to try to stake your claim to the throne.” My father says gruffly.

    “No, your Majesties.” I say, trying to keep my voice from shaking too much. “I come here to plead on behalf of Rachel. She is being unjustly pursued by an assassin.”

    “Who is Rachel?” My father asks.

      Rachel steps forward and does a small twirl. You can tell she doesn’t spend a lot of time with royalty. 

     “I don’t seem to recall meeting you or your family. It’s not my job to look after common folk.” Father says.

    “She’s not common!” Julia shouts.

    Father looks like he’s about to have her thrown out. I step up and say “With all due respect, she’s the daughter of the owner of the Magitronics Corporation. I understand that the assassin who’s after her was sent after by none other than Mildred Stonebridge herself.” 

    I feel the air leave the room. My mother doesn’t talk about her family much, but I get the sense they must have history. 

    “Get out.” My father growls. 

    “Hang on a minute. I was told you could help. Are you going to tell me that you’re just going to let an assassin kill a little girl? Don’t think you could handle the PR, buster.” Julia says, glaring at father.

    “Young lady, we would help you if we could, but we can’t. My sister put a spell on this place. If we go against her, she’ll turn everyone in court against us. We could die. I’m sorry, but you’ll have to find someone else to help your sister.” My mother says, sighing.

    “Now get out.” My father yells. “And son, don’t come back. I don’t know why you thought you could just leave, but as far as I’m concerned, you forfeit your right to the throne. If I see you again, you’ll be treated as a commoner.” 

   We leave the throne room in disgust. “What kind of spell could just turn everyone against you?” Rachel asks. 

    “I don’t think such a thing exists.” Julia says, “I’ll bet you anything they just wanted to get rid of us.”

    “Mother wasn’t lying.” I say, “She knows magic well. If she thinks it’s a threat, it’s serious.”


No comments:

Post a Comment