A Writer Looking to Change the World

Search This Blog

Friday, October 6, 2023

A Ticket to Fame

    “Hello, world. I’m Cassandra the Luminous, here today to introduce you all to the most famous celebrity of all time, Cameron Walker. Cameron, would you introduce yourself, please?”

    “Why yes, Cassandra. I’m Cameron Walker, someone you might know if you’ve been online before. Maybe you haven’t seen me like this, but you have seen me.”

    “Cameron, what would you say to people who claim that you aren’t a real person?”

    “Well, Cassandra, I say people can change. We know that kids grow taller, adults grow shorter, and life teaches us lots of interesting things. Who says a person can’t change their name, gender, appearance, and personality and still be the same person. Does a car become a different car if you change all of its parts?”

    “Excellent insight, as always. What do you think of your first trip to Estellia?”

     “It’s lovely, Cassandra. I especially love how all of the trees are green.”

     “I believe that’s all we have time for. Cameron, thank you for coming today.”

     “You’re quite welcome, Cassandra.”

                                                                                                     ***

     “Is that really all you can come up with, Cassie?” The voice of self-doubt asks. I ignore it. This is only my first draft after all, and everyone knows that your first draft of anything is terrible. Even the bots have to go through multiple drafts of something to make it good. They’re also much faster than I am. A week of thinking and planning over this interview, and all I have to show for it is a few lines of text. I’m not good at this sort of thing. I could have a bot do the work of writing Cameron’s dialogue, I suppose, but pride in my work as an influencer demands that I do the work of writing this entire interview and more importantly making it say something about me and the world in which I live.

    I minimize the word processor, and then open Fantasy Instagram. I can’t help but think that it’s a little strange that out of all the companies that have been around since the twenty-first century, Instagram is one of the survivors. Persnickety types claim that Instagram isn’t the same as it was back then, having gone bankrupt and been bought out twice since it was created, with the second time resulting in a renaming to Fantasy Instagram as part of a rebranding deal. Those who used the previous iteration of Instagram say that it’s not even close to the same experience, since all you can do now is share pictures of worlds that you’ve made with other people. I wouldn’t know, I wasn’t around a hundred years ago, and the buyout occurred before I started doing social media.

      I didn’t start doing social media until I was twenty-five years old. I’d been on social media long before then, and I’ve been writing stories about Estellia since I was ten, but it took a long time for me to get bored and lonely enough to want to share something with the world.

   That something is Estellia, a world that’s been around for decades, maybe even centuries. Nobody quite knows who first created Estellia, since it only appeals to maybe a thousand people worldwide, and over its history has had, by my rough estimation, about a million fans total. That sounds like a lot until you learn that people say it’s been around since 2008. According to some. Nobody knows for sure, since nobody who keeps records well ever got involved with preserving Estellia. Mostly because Estellia does something fantasy worlds are never supposed to do and flat out admit that it isn’t real. It’s kept real entirely by the will of its Dreamer, and most of the people who join fantasy worlds don’t want to be the ones bringing them into existence, for reasons that don’t make a lot of sense to me.

    I’m not complaining. Out of the thousand fans on Estellia’s Instagram page, I’m the one who decided to become the Dreamer. There wasn’t an election, but nobody complained because nobody else wanted the job. The only other people in power at the moment are my friends Alex and Dexter, and some other people who want to cosplay as Midnight Nightmares and torment the rest of the “humans” online, in and outside of Estellia. I have my work cut out for me trying to rein them in, especially since I can only ban them from Estellia, not the entire online world.

    Like all influencers, I dream of making it big. I want to reach a large audience and make a lot of money. Well, make any money at all. Like all noncitizens, I live off of a monthly stipend in publicly owned housing. I oscillate between days when I dream of being one of the few to become insanely rich, and just wishing I had enough money to buy slightly fancy versions of the knockoff jewelry most of my friends wear. That’s why I’m doing this interview, though when I went to check out if any other interviews had been done with Cameron Walker, I surprisingly couldn’t find anything. Cameron is the most famous person in the world after all.

     Okay, that’s not entirely true. Cameron is what the AI scientists call “A Blank Slate”, someone who has perfect but utterly generic features that can be used as the basis for more interesting people in their generation software. Cameron is famous because they have a face that could pass for either masculine or feminine, and as such you see them everywhere. If you’re just glancing you might not notice, but once you start building human models for the people in your fantasy settings, you’ll see their face everywhere. It’s gotten to the point where I once saw someone with dark skin and a hooked nose and then promptly sent their picture to Alex saying, “Look what they’ve done to Cameron.” She thought I was crazy, but it turned out I was right when there was a giant scandal over it. Nice to know that we’ll never quite fix racism.

      “Maybe you could make it as a model.” The voice of slight confidence tells me. “You’re pretty enough and have a fairly basic face. A lot of people like brown hair and blue eyes anyway.”

    “Nice to know you think I’m boring.” I tell it. What I don’t tell it is that there’s no way I’ll ever be a model, not when so many younger women can’t make it. AI modeling is such a desirable job these days that it’s not unheard of for women to shave their heads to make it look like they work for a modelling studio, even though people with less experience in the field of artificial creation than me will tell you that only the poorest studios don’t let their women wear bald caps. Unless they’re sick fucks like Johanthan Bland, who’s such a creepy fetishist he even made his daughter shave her head. I hate living in a world where old money reins supreme.

    Argh, I can’t be distracted by thoughts of evil elitists. I have to work on this interview. Surely there’s someone who’s come up with something of a guideline. I’ve been through several templates, but some part of me wants to be different, interesting. Not because I have grand ideas, but to shut up the voice of self-doubt that keeps insisting that I can’t make this work.

     Nobody thinks that what I’m doing is real, and Nobody but me cares. I’m Cassandra the Luminous, Dreamer of the great and eternal Estellia. But nobody cares. It’s all about immersion, about AI, and filtering your face and voice. If you want to be famous, you need the help of a famous person, someone so famous no one remembers who they are anymore. I’m sure my friends will hate me for selling out, but I have to do something to be successful, not just for my sake, but for the sake of Estellia itself. Nobody else wants to admit it, but our reputation is terrible. We’re known as the land of Nightmares, endless darkness, and bottomless cruelty. We’re not known for being the place of light and hope, even though that’s a huge part of our mythos. One interview alone won’t be enough to get famous or make Estellia the reality I know it could be if enough people believed in it. But anything that could help us get there is necessary. I’m tired of living in a world where nobody cares.

    Lacking any inspiration, I pull out a notebook nobody but me knows about. I’m the only person I know who still writes with a pen and paper, but I like to remember that even someone as boring as a piece of paper can turn into something wonderful with just a little bit of pencil lead. I open it, seeing letters to someone who I know doesn’t even exist. Cameron Walker. Time to write about the future that hasn’t yet happened, in the hopes that I can make it work.

Dear Cameron,

   I’ve done it. I’ve made it to the top. I’m the best influencer in the world, and it’s all thanks to you, Cameron. You’re the best friend a girl could ever hope to have, and I’d be so grateful to work with you again.

                                                          Yours,

                                                                        Cassandra the Luminous

     As I finish writing, I slam the notebook shut. Every time I think I’ve sunk as far as I can go, I find a new low. Writing to my imaginary friends isn’t even the lowest thing I’ve done today. Well, Cameron Walker isn’t imaginary. They’re not real either. Nobody knows who exactly they are. All we know is that BlandCo. INC, the brainchild of the great Justin Bland, has held the license to their name, image, and artificial personality since 2070. In the fifty years since then, Cameron’s clothes, personality, gender and even their name (allegedly) have been altered to match the products they sell, the only thing that hasn’t changed is the fact that they’ve always been a bland, but ideal, human.

     Even if they were real, they wouldn’t like me, but that doesn’t stop me from writing to them almost every day. Most of my letters are written to reassure myself, little notes of promise that a future me will influence others so well that I can make more than a hundred dollars a month, if I’m lucky. I know I don’t need more than that, I have a room, my annual stipend, and a boyfriend who loves me, but that doesn’t mean I don’t want more. Frankly, I’m not sure why I shouldn’t have more. There are people who have more than me who aren’t even citizens, so why shouldn’t I be allowed to aim high.

      I scroll through my Fantasy IG feed. It’s all pictures of people in front of stock backgrounds, talking about their adventures in places you can’t visit no matter how much money you have. Those who were unlucky enough to be alive in the 2040s, ‘30s or, god forbid, the ‘20s, constantly complain about how the world has gone downhill in the days since it became normalized for people to stop traveling and just put up picks saying they have. Nobody my age thinks that. Even if Climate Change is the new normal and work has become a thing of the past, traveling in real life isn’t necessary anymore. Not when everybody has the internet and editing can be done on a toaster. The only thing that the past had over the present was that everyone was trapped in the same awful reality. We don’t have to worry about that. Why worry about being trapped in reality when everyone agrees that soon reality will disappear forever?

No comments:

Post a Comment