A Writer Looking to Change the World

Search This Blog

Thursday, October 20, 2022

The Power of Art

     I'm biased, but I think we undervalue storytelling. I don't just mean the kind of storytelling you find in books and movies, I also mean the kind you find in paintings and symphonies. Just because it doesn't have a clear plot or characters doesn't mean it lacks a story. 

     What I mean is that I don't think we, as a society, see the value in just letting people tell stupid, awful stories. Not only are such stories powerful learning tools for the writers who will go on to write great works, they also serve as a base for society much better then so called "great" works do. Shakespeare wasn't writing for upper class snobs, after all, he was writing for everyday people. It's why his works still hold up today. I think society would benefit from letting people make horrible things that won't sell, without pressuring them to improve. If we don't learn how to make stuff poorly, how can we learn what makes things good? 

No comments:

Post a Comment