A Writer Looking to Change the World

Search This Blog

Friday, October 7, 2022

The Human Race

     So many humans live in the lands of Estellia. They go about their lives in complete ignorance of what's really going on around them. As a god it's my job to keep it that way, since that way they'll fall for our tricks. So many humans, yet so little power can be spared for lesser Nightmares.

   Most humans, eager and greedy for power, leap at the chance to become a Nightmare. What they don't know is that the amount of power you can have is dependent on how lucid you're able to go. You could, in theory, get better at going lucid with practice. The problem is that in order to become a true Nightmare, you must give up your ability to go lucid, for good. Unless you lose power, you can never go lucid again. While it's true that most humans can go lucid, most of them never learn how. It's much easier to go lucid when you're asleep then when you're awake, and humans are trained, by us, to never sleep at all. 

   There are, of course, those who sleep regardless. Weakness isn't limited to High Nightmare's after all. We're always on the lookout, lest they get so good at going lucid power no longer sticks to them. After that, there's not much we can do. 

   What worried me is that I've heard more and more about a human who's able to take out Nightmares by herself. I didn't put much stock into it at first, since most of these accounts claim she was using a plastic star shaped necklace to do it. Yes, I know there is such a thing as a Rubber Ducky of Doom, but I feel that any human nowadays would just turn a rock into an Artefact. At least then, it would be dignified. 

    Then I ran into her myself, after I made a declaration that I realize now I didn't think through. I don't know how I was supposed to know a human with the capability of fighting off a god just so happened to homeless, but apparently I was, because she took me out instantly. It shouldn't have, I know how to block, but I wasn't expected a human wearing a white shirt and dark pants to end me with a glance. 

   To be fair, I don't know many humans personally. Fairies and Monsters let humans live as themselves in their domains, but Sorcerers and Shadows don't. Ours is a land of laws, and laws only matter if people are able to follow them perfectly. It's impossible to create laws that encapsulate humans, since most of them don't sleep or eat. 

   So much the better. It's hard enough building a Dreamworld for those who matter. If we had to include humans in our Dreamworlds, they would never get made at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment