A Writer Looking to Change the World

Search This Blog

Sunday, June 26, 2022

The Heat of Anger

    I'm writing this post the same day that I wrote Saturday's post. I just finished Monday's poem, and I decided that I don't want to have to worry about writing one post tomorrow. According to my phone, today's supposed to be hot, at least relative to the weather we normally get around here, and I expect we'll still be dealing with the fall out from yesterday. 

    I'm angry right now, but also really sad. Back when I was young, when I thought that America was the greatest country in the world, I wondered how someone could like living in one of those poor countries in Asia or Africa, the countries that only ever showed up on the news when they did something wrong. Now that I live in one of those countries, I realize that you can love a country even when you know it's not a good country, and that it probably never was. And it hurts, so much, because how can someone like you change things? You can yell and scream all you want, call the right people, picket outside of town hall, organize movements, all that and more I've seen people try, and it hasn't worked. 

   I'm glad that so many are speaking out about this, but I keep seeing people say, "Voting is more important than ever now." And I have to ask, is it? Voting Biden into office didn't fix things. Voting Obama into office didn't prevent this. Donald Trump didn't have a majority vote, yet he still won the 2016 election. So now we just vote more? Haven't we been told that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results?

    Maybe we are just insane. You'd have to be to see American and still think your country can be saved. 

No comments:

Post a Comment