A Writer Looking to Change the World

Search This Blog

Thursday, June 16, 2022

My Worries

    I wish we, as a society, were more willing to talk about religion. We talk about the big ones all the time, but what we don't talk about is the issue I, and a lot of other people, have. The issue of there not being a religion that gives me what I want from a religion, nothing that's really meaningful to me at least. 

    It's why I've come up with my own religion, sort of. It's mostly me trying to find a way to work science into religious thought. I don't care what Stephen Hawking said, there's still a place for Gods of any gender in todays world. But I still only have a template. And I'm more than a little worried that people reading this will think that I'm just trying to start a cult. I honestly wouldn't blame them. I've often heard that religions equal cult plus time, and that might be true, but I would much rather just skip the cult phase. I don't want a religion that only exists because people believe in it unquestioningly. What makes our Universe strong is that even if not all of us believe in it's existence, and in this day and age that's a distinct possibility, then it's still exists as a real place. We don't succumb to the Infinite just because a few people decide the Universe can't possibly be real. 

    What a lot of people forget is that what made religions so much stronger in the middle ages and earlier was that you could believe in science and God at the same time. I'm not an expert, but I strongly suspect that scientific advancement, coupled with organized religion's lackluster response to our current crises, is what's killing belief in most religious institutions. I don't think this is a time for some new Jesus to gather people together and show them a new God, I think that it's time for people to learn how to make our own Gods, using everything we've learned in the past three-hundred years. We've had decades of people learning how to create worlds in fantasy, surely someone can figure out a fantasy we would all be willing to live in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment