A Writer Looking to Change the World

Search This Blog

Sunday, May 1, 2022

    It'll be the first of May when this post goes up. One of those holidays you completely forget about unless you're looking at a calendar. 

     May day. I'm not the first to note that it sounds like a cry for help. I don't know that people want help exactly, but I have a strong suspicion that most people are looking for a sign that things are going to get better some day. 

    I'm not the person to give you one, if you are looking for one. Frankly, a lot of the emphasis that things will get better from people strikes me less as optimistic and more as desperate to believe in something. But I do think that things are going to get better. The human race has proven to be a spectacularly stupid species during the two million years it's been on earth. But in spite of our limitations, we've accomplished a lot. Mostly by not giving up, even when we clearly should have. I can't say I think the next year, or even the next decade, will be easy, but I firmly believe that when the dust settles, we'll get right back up and keep going, learning exactly as much as we usually do from these situations. I don't know where we're going, I just know that we'll end up somewhere nobody else has been before. 

No comments:

Post a Comment