A Writer Looking to Change the World

Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 22, 2021

The Big book of Enchantments, chapter 3, Rachel's story

     Mathilda used to warn me to never, ever go on an adventure. Adventures don’t get work done or make the world a better place. No matter what people say about adventures, there only purpose is to see the world. They don’t promote growth, they don’t bring understanding, they don’t even help people make money. The world, she often said, would be better off if we just stayed home and did what our parents told us to do. 

    Then a man entered the nursery unexpectedly. I wouldn’t have been frightened, but Julia was there, and I didn’t want her to be hurt. Julia doesn’t have a lot of magic. So I grabbed the wand Mommy gave me for my birthday, and flung a spell at the man. I think I hurt him. I hurt a lot of people when I throw spells at them. 

    Mommy found out there was a man after me. I decided to leave. I didn’t want that man to hurt Julia or Matilda. I’m strong enough to fend for myself. But Julia wouldn’t let me leave by myself. She told me, “I know you’re a lot stronger than I am, but you’re still eight years old.” So I brought her along.

     It turned out alright. Julia’s not a strong mage, but she used to live on the streets. She knows how to live on next to nothing. That didn’t help when we had to sleep out in the open so much that my clothes got filthy and filled with holes. Then we ran out of money.

     Fortunately, Julia’s a whiz with technology, so she took on jobs for money. That meant that the assassin could follow us again, but fortunately, he isn’t that bright, so we were able to hold him off. 

    I wish we could go home. I miss Mathilda, Mommy and all our servants. Julia says we’ll be home soon, but I don’t think she means it. Julia can be mean sometimes, but she’s always been nice to me. She told me once that, “I can’t understand how you came into this family. I belong in this family but the world doesn’t like me much. I guess it’s a good thing you don’t belong in the family, because the world might just like you more.”

    People do like me a lot more than they like Julia, but people would like Julia more if she wasn’t mean so much of the time. Mathilda thinks so to. Julia says she doesn’t care that people don’t like her, but I think she’s lying. Mommy has people over for dinner, and I often see Julia in the corner looking sad when people don’t talk to her. 

   Johnathon says he can get the assassin to stop attacking me. I hope he finds a way to make Julia happy. She keeps saying that when she turns eighteen, she’s leaving us and never looking back. I don’t want to lose her. 

    Why can’t she stay with us? Why doesn’t Mommy care if Julia leaves or stays? Why did a strange woman send an Assassin after me when I’ve never even spoken to her in my life? 

    I don’t know. I just wish that Julia and I could be happy. 


No comments:

Post a Comment