A Writer Looking to Change the World

Search This Blog

Saturday, December 11, 2021

Life of a writer, part 2

    So, I just started publishing a story. It’s been interesting. I have to say, it feels like a lot more work to write fiction than to just write whatever comes to mind, probably because I want my fiction to be good. 

   It’s weird just writing stuff on a public blog when nobody’s seeing it. On the one hand, it’s kind of depressing to think that your writing may just be so terrible that nobody wants to read it. On the other hand, it’s kind of liberating to know that nobody’s around to complain. It’s like giving a speech in an empty auditorium, you get to feel like you’re important, but don’t have to worry about what anyone thinks of your crazy ideas. 

    One of my favorite books is How not to Write a Novel, I just find it funny, and I like reading the “bad” writing in their examples. One point that got hammered home a lot is that if you’re writing fiction, it’s best to not use it as an opportunity to rant against the various slights against you. So it feels kind of strange to have a blog where I mostly just vent. Honestly, I think a lot of people start writing stories because they don’t know how else to be heard. I don’t think these stories need to be in bookstores, but I don’t think it’s necessarily a problem to have them on the internet. 

    Then again, we do live in an age where the difference between bad ideas and dangerous ideas is very important. I don’t think any of my ideas are dangerous, but then again, I’m not the CIA. I’m just one of the many people alive today who wants things to change and isn’t sure if it can be done without someone getting hurt. 

   Morality was never my strong suit. I learn facts, I read what people think, I obsess over things. I don’t really have any experience that would help determine how to fix things, but I’m bothered by the fact that there aren’t many who do want to talk about what might help fix this crisis, and even fewer who want to do anything to stop it. I just want to know; can I save the world? And if I can’t, what should I do instead? 


No comments:

Post a Comment