A Writer Looking to Change the World

Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 15, 2021

The Big Book of Enchantments, Chapter 2, Johnathan's story

    I was the crown prince not that long ago. Heir to a grand and magnificent kingdom. A kingdom as old and vast as time itself. In every library in every province there are books dedicated to our grand and magnificent history. I was to rule over that. I would have been a kind, just and fair ruler. I would be the kind of ruler everyone says is amazing, without actually describing what about me was amazing. That was the future planned for me at birth. And I threw it all away.

    I left home not long ago with nothing but the clothes on my back, a sword from the armory, and what money I had in my dresser drawer. I’ve been wandering aimlessly for about three months now. I keep waiting for the moment mother sends out an officer to find me and bring me home, but that hasn’t happened. I’m beginning to think it never will.

   Who am I kidding? Just because I was first in line for the throne doesn’t mean that I would have been an even remotely decent ruler, even if I’m the tallest in my family. Everything requires so much administration that my father barely has any role to play in our leadership anymore. Or so I’ve been told at least. My mother likes to say that our role is to hold the kingdom together in a way that politicians could never do on their own. If that’s the case, couldn’t they hire an actor to play king? It would be a lot more convincing than seeing me kissing babies.

     “HELP!”

     Oh goodness, what now. There seems to be a young woman in distress. Well, I wouldn’t be a trained knight if I couldn’t save a damsel. “Don’t worry my lady, I’ll save you!” I cry out, before lifting my sword and charging in. Then I feel it, a strong net of magic surrounding me. And not just that, there’s a soft hum in the air. I know this hum. Every heir to the throne is trained to sense it from the time their old enough to lift a sword.  There’s an assassin nearby.

   “Come at me, foul fiend, and face me honorably in a fight to the death.”

   A voice speaks without sound. Clearly, this assassin is highly skilled. “Do you think that’s wise, young fool?”

   In truth, I don’t, but my fighting master always told me “In the heat of battle, never show fear.” I take a fighting stance and say as loudly as possible “Wisdom has nothing to do with true bravery.” Not the best fighting words, I really should have practiced this more before I had my first fight to the death.

   “What are you doing, idiot, you’ll just get us both killed. If you don’t have any fighting skills, then get out of the way.”

     I turn to the young woman and yell, “If you would kindly shut up, I’m trying to save you from almost certain death. This assassin is truly ferocious, if you were to fight him without help, he would kill you instantly, before cutting up your corpse to send back to your family piece at a time.”

    “What are you talking about? You’re the idiot trying to fight with a sword. Nobody with any sense fights using swords anymore. Did you grab the family heirloom on your way off to have your first adventure?”

    “Hah”

    A bolt from the heavens, or rather something that feels an awful lot like a bolt from the heavens, strikes some where close to us. I’m about to yell at someone for nearly roasting all of us, before realizing that the strange net surrounding us as vanished. I can’t tell for sure, but I think the assassin is gone. I doubt he or she is dead, no assassin worth their salt doesn’t prepare for the worst, but for now we seem to be safe.

    I turn to the young woman to thank her and see a young girl by her side. She seems to be about seven or eight, if I had to guess I’d say eight, with shoulder length brown hair and brown eyes. Her clothes look expensive, or at least they look too expensive for anyone who isn’t very wealthy to buy for their children. She’s holding a stick up into the air, or maybe it’s a wand. All of the wands we have at the castle are handmade by the best craftsmen in the land, and I’ve never used one that wasn’t ornately built. But this wand, if it is a wand, is little more that a stick that’s been sanded smooth. It doesn’t seem to have been built to hold spells in it for more than a few seconds. But then again, the reason why every member of the royal family is taught swordplay is to make our opponents underestimate us, so we can get them with a spell we have prepared in advanced. My father taught me that the only way we could win was to make sure our opponents never knew how strong we actually were. Maybe this wand, if it is a wand, works by that same principle.

    “Good morning young lady,” I say, bowing to the little girl, “Do we have you to thank for saving us from that dastardly, devilish assassin.” 

    “Yep,” she says, cheerfully, “I kept trying to attack him, but he wouldn’t stay still. But when you started arguing with Julia, he just froze in place, so I could take him out with a spell instantly.” She shook her head somewhat sadly, “He’s been following us for days, but every time he’s tried to kill me, we’ve taken him out in less than a minute. I don’t think whoever’s paying for his services was willing to get the best, if you know what I mean.” She says with a wink.

     I know I do. People in the court are a lot more subtle with the things they say about politicians, even my father and mother. My father doesn’t do a whole lot, but he could still make life unpleasant if some one makes him too angry, or so my mother says.

    “I don’t think he’s a low-class assassin. Low class assassins can’t afford high level spells like that. Then again, it’s hard to find someone highly skilled who doesn’t have morals. Luckily for us all.”

    “So what exactly was your plan there?” The young woman asks.

     I turn to look at her. She looks about fifteen I’d say, with most of her head shaved except for a small patch at the top of her head. Her clothes don’t look as expensive, but they’re too well maintained for her to be a simple member of the populace. Looking at her, I have to assume that she’s related to the little girl, for they have the same hair color and eyes, and nearly the same face shape. The young woman doesn’t seem to like smiling, though.

    “Before revealing my amazing and incredible fighting secrets to you, I’d very much like to know your name.”

    “Why, so you can harass me?”

     “Oh, my, no, it’s so when I get threatening letter telling me I’ll be killed, I’ll know exactly who they’re from.” I try to smile so that she knows I’m joking. She doesn’t seem to find it funny.

     “I’m Rachel,” The little girl says, “And this is my cousin Julia.”

    Julia turns to Rachel and says “Rachel, don’t tell strangers your name. Don’t you remember that the reason we’re fleeing from Brooks Hallow is that Mildred Stonebridge paid for someone to kill you?”

    Stonebridge? Why does that name sound so familiar? I think for a minute, and then I remember, it was my mother’s last name before she married my father.

    “Would this Mildred Stonebridge be related to Regina Laurence Stuart by chance?” I ask.

    Julia turns to me and says, “How would I know, until a few months ago, I didn’t even know she existed. She came to visit my aunt Cecilia about six months ago and all she did was try and suck up to my aunt as hard as she could. It’s too bad she has no skills anyone would want at this point. When she left, we all just kind of forgot about her you know? She’s just not a memorable person.”

    I try and think back to what I’ve heard of my mother’s relatives. I know she was born in the citadel of magic, and I know she had three sisters, one older and two younger than her. I don’t recall her saying all that much about them, only that the only one of the girls who stayed in the citadel was her older sister, and that was only because she had to.

   “Does this Mildred Stonebridge originate from the citadel of magic by chance?” I ask.

    Julia squints. “I don’t remember. I think so though. I remember her going on and on about her origins, but my aunt said it wasn’t anything worth bragging about.”

   “If this is Mildred Stonebridge of the Citadel of Magic, then you might be in luck. My mother’s maiden name was Stonebridge. If you were to talk to her, we could get this cleared up and your cousin could go back home.”

   “And what if this isn’t Mildred Stonebridge of the Citadel of Magic? Will we be stuck wandering forever looking for somewhere that assassin won’t come after us?”

    “Of course not. My mother has friends in very high places. I’m sure she could pull some strings to make sure you and your cousin will be able to go home safely.”

   Julia looks at Rachel, “What do you think, Rachel?”

   Rachel shrugs, “I don’t think he’s lying Julia. If he’s right, then we’ll be able to go home without anyone getting hurt.”

   “I guess it’s worth a shot then.” Julia says.

                                                                           ****

   I didn’t think I’d be heading home so soon. I know it’ll be at least a week before we get to the capital city, but I’m already feeling very nervous.

   It’s about an hour before we reach a dirt path. “I think if we follow this path, we’ll reach the main road eventually.”

    “What, do you have some amazing sense of direction or something?” Julia asks.

     No, I say, pulling out one of the maps I bought when I first left home, “I’ve been wondering around for a few months now. I’ve learned a few tricks to navigate. This looks like a human maintained path. It should connect up with the main path eventually. All roads lead to the capital after all.”

    “Your mother lives in the capital city?” Rachel asks.

    “My entire family does.” I reply.

    Rachel looks at me for a moment, then asks, “You wouldn’t happen to be Crown prince Johnathan, would you?”

    I startle, then say, “What makes you say that?”

    “You’re from the capital, and you’re wandering around the countryside with a sword strapped to your back. Mama says that nobody outside of the royal family uses swords anymore. I’ve also heard that the crown prince disappeared a few months back, and you said you’ve been wandering around the countryside for a few months.”

    I think for a bit. I’m going to have to tell them eventually. “Yes, I am the Crown prince.” I say. Perhaps it would have been better to say that I was the crown prince.

   Julia glares at me, “Then why aren’t you back home learning how to be a king?”

   “I was… uh… exiled from the court.”

    Julia raises an eyebrow, “Why didn’t I hear about it then?”

    “I don’t think you would have been important enough to know.” I say, as haughtily as I can.

    “My Aunt runs the Corden Magitronics Corporation. If it happens, she knows it.”

     I have to think. What would happen that would cause me to get exiled that someone as important as the head of Corden Magitronics wouldn’t know about it.

    “My parents tried to keep it quiet. I was deeply embarrassing. If anyone knew about it, it could result in the monarchy being abolished.”

    “Then why are you heading back?”

    “Well, I’m a good citizen of course, and a prince must work hard to make sure all injustices are corrected promptly, no matter how far away from his throne they are.”

    “You do realize neither of us believes a word you’re saying, right?” Rachel chimes in.

    I sigh. I don’t know what to say.

   “Just tell us the truth.” Julia says. “I won’t trust you until you do.”

   “Alright, I, well, I couldn’t…” I trail off.

   “What?” Julia says, angrily.

   “I couldn’t take it anymore.” I burst out.

    Julia looks at me and folds her arms. “Couldn’t take what? The lavish meals, the pretty girls, the endless and interesting conversations with head statesmen?”

    “No. I mean, those parts were, nice enough, I guess. It was everything else that was too much.”

   I pause. I’m not used to talking about this. Not even mother and father know about this.

  “When I was younger, I thought being a king would be fun. You know how it’s like in stories. Kings can say whatever they want, and nobody can complain. But as I got older, more and more people wanted things from me. First my parents, then my father’s court, then the servants, then every single visitor we had. And I started seeing just how little power we have anymore.”

   I stop to catch my breath. Looking at Rachel and Julia, they don’t seem surprised.

  “I tried to keep everyone happy, I really did. But right before I left, everyone just started yelling at me. I’m not even sure what they were angry about anymore. When I finally got some time to myself, all I could think was ‘We don’t even really run the country anymore. My father even says he could get an actor to replace him, and he doesn’t think anyone would know. Why am I even here?’ I left that night.”

  “You didn’t think anyone would miss you?” Julia burst out.

  “Look, I know my mother and father are probably worried sick. I’m also certain that there’s a lot of jostling for position in my absence. I don’t care. I can’t take it anymore. If anyone gets up in my grill, I’ll abdicate.”

   I have to take a breath. It’s hard to talk about this. I’m the heir to the throne. I shouldn’t be so weak.

  “Look, I don’t care if you don’t want to be king. More than a few people I know wish that we didn’t have a king anymore. What I don’t like is you running out on your responsibilities like that.” Julia looks at me and takes a deep breath, “When I was seven, my mother sent me on a train to Brooks Hallow. I remember her telling me before I left that I needed to work for my aunt to pay off her debts. Or something. I don’t really remember. I just know that when I got there, I discovered that she lied, and my aunt didn’t want me at all. To top it off, it was a one-way ticket. I’ve spent the past eight years at my aunts praying I don’t get kicked out.”

    “Why didn’t you get sent back to your mother?” I ask.

    “I don’t know if they couldn’t find her or if she didn’t want me. No one answers if I ask. I think at this point if I do have to go back to living with her, I’ll get legally emancipated.” She looks at me. “Look, my aunt may be mean, but she knows she doesn’t like kids. When Rachel was born, she got a nanny to look after her and I, so neither of us sees her all that often. When I lived with my mother, we were always on the edge. That wouldn’t have been so bad if she’d liked me, but she hated me even more than my aunt does. I still have nightmares about the places we used to live.”

    I don’t really know what to say, so I say, “I’m sorry.”

   We all pause for a minute. “Look, this was all very enlightening, but we need to get going. I don’t think this would be a good night to sleep outside.” I pull up my map to look at it, “Looks like we’ll reach a village if we follow this road.”

   “How can you tell? I don’t see any signs.” Rachel says.

   I show her my map, where the road is glowing. “The royal family learns a lot about old magic. One of the spells we use most often is a spell to tell where you are on a map.” I fold up the map and put it under my arm, “Shall we get going?” I ask.

    “Yes let’s” Rachel says, “I’m tired of sleeping outside.”

                                                                          

 

No comments:

Post a Comment