A Writer Looking to Change the World

Search This Blog

Friday, July 15, 2022

The Daily Life of a Human

    I'm not entirely sure what Lady Greaves does with her time. She's always off "making deals", whatever that's supposed to mean. As far as I can tell, my job consists of telling people to wait for her, getting them water and other drinks, then watching as they leave in frustration. 

    I'm glad I'm not a nightmare, but sometimes I wish that I wasn't a human either. 

    Fortunately I'm extremely lucky, for a human that is. Back when I was living with my parents, we'd get books every time the book store was open, and it was always open if we were walking past that way. A nightmare was supposed to test me to see if I could make it as a nightmare myself, but thankfully they never showed up. I'm supposed to be on watch for customers, but they never show up when I need a nap, so I sleep in the waiting area. 

   When I'm not asleep and there are no customers around, I'm supposed to be filing papers. Business has been so slow lately that I don't have many papers to file. To pass the time I've been reading the books that Milady keeps in the back room. They're all business, but it's better than being bored. Recently I ran out of books to read, but I found a trick to stop from being bored all the time.

   It goes something like this; if I wait an hour and a customer doesn't show up, I go for a walk in the city. When I find a store I want to shop at, I stop and buy something for myself. When I return, a customer shows up shortly afterwards, and they usually have a request that I can manage, like making an appointment to be seen by Milady. 

   Unfortunately, even the luckiest humans run out of luck eventually, and after three months of working at a job I can't seem to get the hang off, Milady fires me and starts looking for another assistant. 



No comments:

Post a Comment