A Writer Looking to Change the World

Search This Blog

Friday, January 10, 2020

What happens when I get sick

 Currently the heavenly bodies that govern human health have smote me with a cold, which I wouldn't mind (as much) if I hadn't just gotten over one a few days ago. Ah well, at least it's not the flu, and at least I don't tend to get too horribly miserable if I get colds.
  That's actually a little bit of a problem, not for me but for the people around me who don't want to get sick. I'm not afraid of germs in the least, so I engage in a lot of habits that, quite frankly, should have resulted from an untimely death from meningitis/salmonella by now. In spite of that, the sickest I've been was the time I got the flu after our trip to Europe, and the worst thing that happened as a result of that was my mother being bedridden for three months with pneumonia. The thing is, I can fight off an illness quite easily (though I did get uvula infection when I was eleven from a root canal, anesthesia was still better than being awake for it) so I tend to forget that there are other people in the world for whom illness can actually be dangerous. See above for an example.
   I might be getting an opportunity to practice better hygiene soon. I applied to volunteer at the local humane society, and if all goes will I will be working with our local needy animal population. It's the kind of job where changing your gloves is important. I guess I could have gotten a job at the local McDonald's for a similar experience, but this way I avoid the deer in the headlights effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment