A Writer Looking to Change the World

Search This Blog

Monday, March 20, 2023

The Price we Pay

 Where are the words that once flowed freely,
And the pen that I used to wield?
What happened to the thoughts that went through my mind,
Why is it that I can now only feel?
Am I just a has been? Did I dream large,
Only to come crashing back down to earth?
Is this moment the moment it all ends,
Or could it be a moment of rebirth?

To dream is to give up a piece of your soul,
That is the price you must pay.
If you wish to remain real and eternal,
This is not a game you should play.
I gave up everything within my mind,
Hoping the sun would shine bright.
I kept begging for a new world to arrive,
Now my chances of survival are slight.

Where are the people giving their voice,
So that our world has air it can breathe?
They claim they're angry and frightened of change,
So why only sit there and seethe?
Is the only reason they dream of tomorrow
The fact that the rich must be pleased?
Can they truly not see that if they don't ask,
They're doomed to find they've been fleeced?

To dream is to give up a piece of your soul,
That is the price you must pay.
Thus it only makes sense to forgive and forget,
Or so the wise ones used to say.
If others would join me in demanding that leaders
Do more than just sit on their rumps,
Perhaps the hard times we've been trapped in for years
Would be nothing but a minor speed bump.

What could happen if the world that I dream of
Turned out to one day be real?
Would I have more than just thoughts in my mind?
Would I be able to do more than just feel?
Will I be someone that people remember
After this moment that marks my rebirth?
Is it true that I could someday be
The most powerful person on earth?

To Dream is to give up a piece of your soul,
That is the price you must pay.
The truth is that I'd rather do that
Than just sit on my knees and pray.
Only by telling the world what you wish for
Will you find that your voice has been heard.
So I continue to write about all of the feelings
For which I no longer have words.

And someday, soon, when we're free from this never ending night,
I'll look upwards with my heart brimming with hope, 
for the sun will once more shine bright.

No comments:

Post a Comment