A Writer Looking to Change the World

Search This Blog

Monday, March 13, 2023

The Abyss

 I fly above the darkness,
Seeing it gnaw at my feet.
It growls, hungry, 
Desperate for my body 
And soul. 
I flap my wings harder,
Terrified that if I fall, 
I'll die. 
The higher I fly,
The higher it reaches,
Determined to claim
What is rightfully mine.

Suddenly, my wings lock up,
I can't keep myself airborne,
I'm terrified, but I can't keep myself
Out of the endless sea.
I wake up,
All around me is black and heavy,
Filled with the pressure of 
Something desperate to be real. 
I try to find my way out,
But the fear that used to follow me dissipates,
For my soul thinks that this is its one true home.
I try to hold onto fear,
To hold onto anything,
Anything that will help me navigate back
To freedom and safety.
In the darkness,
I hear the voices calling out,
"Join us,
Only by giving up control
Can you ever hope 
To find the freedom you seek."

Is this my future?
Am I doomed to be nothing more than a slave?
I make it out,
But I still hear the abyss
Calling my name, 
And there's a voice within me that's desperate to return,
Desperate to flee from a world where nothing matters.
It would be so easy to give in.

I shouldn't be worried.
However overpowering the abyss seems to be,
I see it shrinking, day by day. 
It won't be long until we're all bathed in what we 
Think is sunlight,
Until our skin peels off 
And our souls beg for mercy. 
It won't be long until I need not fear the abyss,
For what is heaven
But a place where there's no darkness at all,
No protection from the things
We were not meant to face. 

No comments:

Post a Comment