A Writer Looking to Change the World

Search This Blog

Monday, July 29, 2024

Reach for the Stars

 I don't need your permission 
To reach for the stars,
To fly high above
The world
As it is.
I don't need your permission
To be gifted 
And gorgeous.
I just need to leap
As high as I can.

I don't need your permission
To build the world
Of my dreams,
A world of awe
Where everything
Is but a wish away.
I don't need to ask anyone
What it takes
To have it all,
I just need to learn how to ask

I don't need your permission
To join other worlds,
Places near and far 
Filled with people like me.
I don't need to ask you
Why I didn't know they existed,
But I still wish that you'd told me
So I could have done this much sooner.

I didn't ask your permission
To reach for the stars,
A place high above
The world
As I knew it. 
I thought that you told me
This was place for the gifted,
Gorgeous,
Those too good to live
In the world down below.

Why does this world feel
So boring and plain?
Why do I feel less
Like I'm an outsider, 
And more like I fit in
In the worst way possible?
Why didn't you warn me 
About all of the questions
Not even you know the answer to?

I don't need your permission
To build the world of my dreams
A world so boring and plain
We must reach for the stars. 
I don't need your permission
To join with others who agree
This world beyond worlds
Is nothing but lies.
I don't need you to tell me
That while starlight is gorgeous,
We still need to come down to Earth
Sometimes.

I don't need to tell you
To reach for the stars,
A place beyond our reach
At this moment in time.
You don't need my permission to
Undo the world as you know it,
A place so boring and simple
We ought to be able 
To live in peace.
I hope one day you'll know
That starlight means nothing
Unless contrasted
Against a night sky. 

No comments:

Post a Comment