A Writer Looking to Change the World

Search This Blog

Monday, January 8, 2024

The Greenhouse

 It's cold.
It's raining.
I can't see the sunlight
So I'm starving.
I'm still alive
But everyday 
Brings more pain 
Then I can deal with.

I'm told that somewhere,
Far away,
There's a heaven made of glass.
A place that's always warm,
Where you never get rained on,
Where you never need to worry about 
Finding the sun.

Oh, to live there,
To never need to worry
About dying again.
But I won't live there.
You don't go there by choice.
You go there because the gods 
Have chosen you.

No one knows why they choose some
Over others.
Everyone wishes that it could be them.

It's cold,
It's raining,
But the concrete won't let
Most of the water through.
I stretch out my leaves,
But the sun's vanished
Behind a large square cloud.
I'm so hungry.
I'm surviving,
But only just. 

Oh, to live where there's always sunlight,
Where you get water every day,
Where you never need to worry about being eaten.

I'm not asking for much,
So why won't the gods
Listen to my pleas.
I've heard they can change the climate,
So why can't they build 
A greenhouse for everyone?

There's someone else
Growing next to me,
Fighting me for sunlight and air.
It knows I'm struggling,
Knows there's not enough for both of us,
But it's fighting me for all that it can.

I wish someone would help me,
I wish the gods would grant me
Respite from this torture.

My enemy laughs,
"Do you think such a place
As a greenhouse exists?"

"I've heard, on the wind, that the gods have
Warmed the planet. 
I've heard, on the wind, the gods
Have cleared the land
And sowed it with so much life
You grow before you know what's going on.
All that greatness, and you still demand more?
The gods have given us all we need to survive,
So why don't you accept 
That you were never worthy to begin with?"

I know what it's doing.
It's trying to prove that it can win 
By bullying me.
It knows it's dead,
Just like me,
If the gods decide not to help us.

The sun's blazing,
But my leaves can't reach any of it.
I can feel the heat roasting me,
But I don't see the light.

Why can't they hear me?
Why won't they help?

If I can't live escape the hunger and pain,
What reason do I have to keep living?
What reason do I have 
To fight for survival? 

No comments:

Post a Comment