A Writer Looking to Change the World

Search This Blog

Monday, January 9, 2023

The Dawn

 How did I become so dependent on darkness?
This feeling of importance, the joy of hearing my name,
The words that pour into my soul.
I can feel it,
Their power surrounds me,
Insulating me from harm.

Who is it that insists on destroying it?
The protection built by years of fame
and admiration?
Who is that keeps trying to drag me
Into the sunlight,
So that I will burn and die?

It burns,
I scream,
But I can't hear my voice
And nobody seems to notice me.
I'm thrashing about,
Begging for someone to help me 
Before it's too late.

But there's nothing.
I'm nothing.
Not only do I mean nothing now,
I never meant anything to anyone.
How could I have thought
That I could succeed? 

All around me people scream joyously,
Not seeing the pain of me
Or my friends.
They chided us for not showing compassion,
Yet in our time of need
The ignore us.

The world Iived in, 
The world I loved
And I thought they loved too,
Is gone.
Yet they won't even pretend to mourn.

Was I not one of those who gave them their home?
Was I not one of the architects
of their world of glass and steel? 

No comments:

Post a Comment