A Writer Looking to Change the World

Search This Blog

Sunday, December 11, 2022

     Fourteen more days until Christmas. Fourteen more days until the holiday where everyone pretends they love their families and all you hear on TV are stories about how, on one single day, nobody suffers and nobody is ever mean. As a child, all you have to do is believe, but as an adult all I can think about is how hollow and empty it all is. 

    I guess I should be grateful. It's only one day a year after all, and I don't have to travel to see my family any more. I do wish Christmas could be a bit more subdued, less aggressive cheerfulness and more quiet moments with people you care about. As a kid, all I cared about were presents and parties. As an adult, all I want is a quiet moment to myself to think about why Christmas, a day that so many people are so jaded about, is still deeply beloved by so many. 

No comments:

Post a Comment