A Writer Looking to Change the World

Search This Blog

Monday, May 27, 2024

Only an Heiress

 I'm only an heiress
To the largest fortune in the world.
I only have a mansion,
And so much money that when I hit the walls they bleed gold.
I only have enough time to throw one party a day,
And only most of the elite can come.

I am the queen of society's ballroom,
I'm proud to say that when I speak, 
The world listens.
Everyone says I have the grace of a swan
And the beauty of a rose,
I suppose that I ought to feel blessed.
Why, then, can I not reach the stars?
Why do I seek to own galaxies 
When I already own planets?

Why do I wish for more than I have?
The other day I lost a gemstone so rare it had belonged to a museum,
And I simply paid to have it replaced.
Yet I feel that if I could have more jewelry, nicer clothes, and better food,
I'd be so much happier than I am now.

Those who say that money can't buy happiness spout nonsense,
Nothing makes me feel better than buying new things.
It's not even for me most of the time,
When your house gives you money for nothing, you don't need to buy more.
My friends all love me for the things they give me, 
My enemies always demand more.

I do wonder if I wouldn't be happier as a pauper sometimes.
They have to make do with what they have after all,
And I'm told that many of the things that make life worth living
Started when people had to try and make things last.
People think that I have everything,
But I'm only an heiress
To the largest fortune in the world,
And I learned very quickly 
That money isn't enough 
To make you interesting or special. 

No comments:

Post a Comment